A Moment to Catch My Breath

28 03 2009

This has been a whirlwind of a week! I've hardly had a chance to keep up! But I figured I'd take a few moments to just get you all up to speed on what's been going on in my life.

I had a great time at my parent's house last weekend. I went home on Sunday so that I could do production at church in the PM. I actually got a chance to direct for the first time! I only did rehearsal but I was still just as nervous. People don't understand that even though film production and live production have some similarities, they are two totally different animals! In film production, I have the ability to call "Cut" whenever something is not going right. I have the ability to get multiple takes of a single moment. I get to rehearse with actors and crew WELL in advance of the actual production. It's not like that with live production. Plus, in film production I basically sit in a chair and tell people what to do. With live production there's so many buttons and so much to remember. And you're looking at 6 cameras at one time trying to figure out which one is the best to use in this milisecond. At any rate, I got through it. And it was actually fun. It still freaked me out though, but fun.

So remember in my last post I told you that I ended up on the computer for 2 hours looking up editing jobs? Well, one of the companies I found was a place called Film Finish. They actually sponsored the Woman's Angle screenings this year. I found out that they teach a class called Film Editing for the Assistant Editor. The class is supposed to teach you how to be an assistant editor and eventually editor for major feature films.

Well, I sent them an email that night inquiring about the class and guess what? They called me back on Monday. I talked with the instructor, Joe Binford, and he told me about the class and about the cost, which was a bit pricey. He said that a class had already started and that he could get me into Thursday's class if I was interested. How was I going to get that much money in such a short period of time? I prayed about it and wondered if I had any faculty development that I could use. I figured any little bit helped. I lifted up the prayer request on Tuesday morning as to whether or not I should take the class and about getting the money.

Well, by the time I got to work, they had let me know that my job would pay for half the class! And one of my small group members asked me to shoot a promotional video for her school so the money from that will pretty much cover the entire cost of the class. Talk about divine intervention! And all this in in a matter of like 24 hours! I was shocked. Well, I called Joe and told him I could take the class and he immediately tried to get me up to speed on everything. He came to my house on Tuesday night to give me the textbook. He then set up a schedule to meet with me one on one on Wednesday and Thursday to get me caught up with the rest of the class.

So I've been doing a lot of reading all week to try and catch up! I had my first class on Thursday and it was fantastic! I'm already starting to see how I can put a lot of this stuff into practice–both in my classroom and in my own professional growth. I'm excited to see where all this will lead!!!

So there's a lot going on right now between the class, doing the promotional video, finishing writing Something Worth Waiting For, and I'm also helping my friend Leslie do a documentary on youth. The down side of all this is that I think I'm going to have to drop my Bible Old Testament class. I really don't want to but it's just getting to be too much. I've been behind in the readings ever since day 1 and now I'm even more behind. I missed class this past Friday because the battery light came on in my car and I didn't want to drive all the way to Alpharetta with that. That was the 4th class that I missed this semester. So I think it's a done deal.

It's been raining all day today. I slept in late but I got up to fix some cranberry-almond muffins. Just as I was getting ready to put them in the oven we lost our power. It came on about 45 minutes later but today's just been one of those days where I've just hung around the house. It hasn't been a total wash, though. I spent a good amount of time doing rewrites on SWWF. I'm liking the changes, I just hope it all comes together in the end. Well, I just realized that between all the baking and the writing, it is now 5:50 pm and I still haven't even showered yet. :-/ Khalilah and I are supposed to be going to the movies tonight so I better get a move on.

Chow for now!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: