Today part 2 of my epic cross-country journey begins. I love my family so much and I’ve had a great time here, but the anticipation is starting to build exponentially and I cannot wait to get to California! I’m also really looking forward to spending some time in Texas this next week with my sister and her family. My bro-in-law and I usually can spend hours talking about theology and church stuff, so this should be a good segue for me as I prepare to enter seminary life. 🙂
So in a previous post I listed some of the things I will miss about DC–and can I just say I’ve been craving some Georgetown Cupcakes and Frozen Yo as of late?…sigh…Well, today I’m listing all the things I’m looking forward to in California. For someone who was never really that thrilled about the west coast, I’m now at a point where I’m ready to dive in to this adventure! Ok, so…
Things I Look Forward to in California:
- The Beach – If there’s one thing I miss about growing up in NJ, it’s the easy accessibility to the beach. I look forward to being able to drive a few minutes down the road and find some water and sand. Of course, from what I see and hear, the weather in California is too cold for me to actually get in the water, but it’ll be nice to just be there.
- God & Film Talk – If there are two things I love to talk about endlessly it’s God and film. I feel like I could talk about those for hours. I look forward to being able to have conversations about these two things on the regular with my fellow seminarians. A close third and fourth thing that I’m passionate about is race and the church and singleness, so I look forward to having those conversations as well. Hopefully, though, now my dialogue and thoughts will be a little more solid and not just me spouting off random opinions.
- Dots Cupcakes – So I mentioned Georgetown Cupcakes…well I found out that there’s a cupcake place in walking distance from my apartment in Pasadena. I looked at their menu and what got me amped was that they have strawberry cupcakes everyday, not just on Sundays like at Georgetown. Only time will tell if the cupcakes are actually any good but I can’t wait to do a little taste testing!
- New Church – I’m really looking forward to the process of trying to find a new church home. I think a part of me is just curious if worship on the west coast is any different from the east coast. I have a list of about 10 churches that I want to visit when I get out there, so I just pray that the Lord will lead me to a place where I can grow spiritually and be in community.
- Sunshine – Although I’m not so much looking forward to 50 and 60 degree nights every day of the year, and I also don’t know how I feel about it being 70 degrees all the time (I know to most of you that sounds like perfect weather but to me it sounds Cold!), but I am really looking forward to it being sunny most of the time. Gotta make sure I get a pair of cute shades before I get to Cali! 🙂
Overall, I’m excited about meeting new people in a new space and beginning a new adventure in life. I’ve been a straight up east coast girl all my life so it’ll be fun to see what it’s like to be on the other side of the country. I’m looking forward to driving across the country too. Once I leave Dallas, I will officially be in completely unknown territory. Sounds good…and scary at the same time!
Well, ya’ll pray for a sister as I head to Mississippi today and Dallas tomorrow. Happy Road Trippin’!